Saturday, January 5, 2008

A great case, solved

Bone marrow biopsy made the diagnosis. It's multiple myeloma: kissing cousin of leukemia, known killer of kidneys, and famed enemy of blood cell precursors in the bone marrow.

For me, this means case closed. I called an Oncology consult and have moved on.

For her, the nightmare is only beginning. Some time later this month, maybe while I'm chasing my kids through the house and laughing, she'll be starting chemotherapy. And some time in the next four or five years, while I'm doing something mundane like complaining about taxes or wiping down my kitchen counter, she's gonna die.

1 comment:

The Dude said...

Ouch usually Chemo with older people means dey have a chance to live longer & have gratitude for their life so far, accepting wot will be will be. Namaste